IT Infrastructure Technician Apprenticeship over studying an NVQ
When it comes to pursuing a career in the field of information technology, individuals often face the decision of whether to pursue an apprenticeship or study for a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ). While both options have their merits, in this article, we will explore the benefits of undertaking an IT Infrastructure Technician Apprenticeship over studying an NVQ.
- Practical Experience: One of the major advantages of an apprenticeship is the opportunity to gain practical experience. As an IT Infrastructure Technician apprentice, you will work alongside experienced professionals in a real-world environment. This hands-on experience allows you to develop practical skills, problem-solving abilities, and industry-specific knowledge that cannot be obtained solely through classroom-based learning. By applying your skills in real-life scenarios, you’ll be better prepared for the demands of the job market.
- Earn While You Learn: One of the most appealing aspects of an apprenticeship is the ability to earn a salary while you learn. Unlike studying for an NVQ, where you may need to rely on financial aid or work part-time jobs to support yourself, as an apprentice, you will receive a wage from your employer. This not only provides financial stability but also allows you to start building your professional network and industry connections early on.
- Industry-Relevant Qualifications: IT Infrastructure Technician Apprenticeships are designed in collaboration with employers to meet the specific needs and requirements of the industry. This means that the qualifications you gain as an apprentice are directly aligned with the skills and knowledge that employers are seeking. This industry relevance enhances your employability and increases your chances of securing a job after completing your apprenticeship.
- Mentoring and Support: Throughout your IT Infrastructure Technician Apprenticeship, you will have access to experienced mentors who can guide you through your learning journey. These mentors are often professionals working in the industry and can provide valuable insights, advice, and support as you progress. Having a mentor can greatly accelerate your learning, help you overcome challenges, and provide you with valuable industry connections.
- Enhanced Career Prospects: Completing an IT Infrastructure Technician Apprenticeship can significantly enhance your career prospects. With the combination of practical experience and industry-recognised qualifications, you will be well-positioned for a successful career in the IT industry. Many apprentices are offered permanent positions by their employers after completing their apprenticeships, while others have a competitive edge when applying for jobs in the broader job market.
- Personal Development: Beyond the technical skills and knowledge, an IT Infrastructure Technician Apprenticeship offers an excellent platform for personal development. Through interactions with colleagues, exposure to different work environments, and the challenges faced on the job, apprentices develop crucial soft skills such as communication, teamwork, problem-solving, and time management. These skills are highly valued by employers and are transferable to various roles and industries.
- Clear Progression Pathway: An apprenticeship provides a clear progression pathway for individuals looking to advance their careers in IT. Upon completing your IT Infrastructure Technician Apprenticeship, you can choose to continue your studies at a higher level, such as a higher apprenticeship or a degree program, or specialise in a specific area of IT. The experience and qualifications gained during your apprenticeship will give you a solid foundation for further professional growth.
In conclusion, while NVQs have their merits, an IT Infrastructure Technician Apprenticeship offers a unique set of advantages that make it an attractive option for individuals considering a career in IT. From gaining practical experience and earning a wage to industry-relevant qualifications and mentoring support, an apprenticeship equips you with the skills, knowledge, and personal development needed to thrive in the IT industry.
View our online Level 3 IT Support Apprenticeship here
If you are interested in hiring an apprentice or up-skill current employees via an apprenticeship. Fill out the below form and a member of our apprenticeship advisory team will be in contact with you.